The Ven. Dr. Sylvanus Regisford, Archdeacon. surrounded by
Mrs. Elsa Scott, Mrs. Cheryl King and Dr. Baldwin King.
This picture was taken at St. Paul's on July 7, 2002, which was Ven. Dr. Sylvanus Regisford's first Sunday as Rector of St. Paul's/St. John's. He took up his appointment on July 1, 2002.
The Induction and Institution of the Ven. Dr. Sylvanus Regisford as Rector of St. Paul's/St. John's took place on September 29, 2002, at St. Paul's Calliaqua, at 5:00 p.m.
Information from Cheryl Phills King.
St. Paul's, Calliaqua, built in 1840. Cost 1385 pounds sterling
St.Paul's chapel, 64 by 35 feet. Built in 1840
Clergy R.A. Warner, A.C. appointed in April 1841
Alexander Dasent named to the curacy of St. Paul's on 04 November 1843.
St. Paul's Calliaqua-History
Alexander DASENT was born 30 April 1819 in Kingstown, St. Vincent. He was the third son of John Roche DASENT and his second wife, Charlotte Martha IRWIN. According to biographical data (http://www.kinderlibrary.ac.nz/resources/bishop/D.htm), he was educated at Westminster school (at least 1830 to 1832) and King’s College in England.
This webpage also outlines his further education and career, showing that he graduated 12 June 1843 at Codrington College in Barbados. He became deacon for Barbados on 06 August 1843 (at Holy Trinity church in Kingstown, St. Vincent), and on 09 August 1843, he was named assistant curate for St. George’s in St. Vincent, within the diocese of Barbados. On 04 November 1843, he was named to the curacy of the parochial chapel of St. Paul’s in Calliaqua, St. Vincent. He became a priest in Barbados on 14 August 1844. He was rector of St. George’s and St. Andrew’s in Tobago, 09 January 1844 until 1851.
On 23 April 1851, he became the curate-in-charge of St. John’s and St. Mark’s in Grenada. On 18 December 1851, he was named rector of Bequia and Grenadines. He married Caroline Mayer GRANT (born about 1826) on 13 October 1847 at St. Paul’s Chapel in Calliaqua, St. Vincent. She was the daughter of the Honourable George Colquhoun GRANT (Colonial Secretary and Treasurer in St. Vincent), and his wife Anne MORE-MOLYNEUX. In 1856 he suffered with yellow fever and returned ill to England.
He was assistant to Frederick HEBERDEN, the curate of Wilmington, Dartford, Kent, England in the diocese of Canterbury, 1856 – 1862. On 10 August 1863, he arrived in Lyttelton (New Zealand) with seven children on board the EPSOM. Scarlet fever killed three of the children, and another priest, J. C. BAGSHAW, was appointed to Holy Trinity Avonside, in his place. In October 1863 he arrived on The Spit at Waikouaiti in North Otago. He was cure of Waikouaiti, in the diocese of Christchurch, 18 August 1863 to 1875. This cure included the coast between Warrington and Blueskin Bay, inland to Upper Taieri, Hyde, Naseby, Kyeburn, Macgraes, Hampton and Palmerston.
He held various positions in the diocese of Wellington 1875 to 1897, when he received a pension. He died 22 September 1905 at age 87 in Karori, Wellington, New Zealand, and is buried there in St. Mary’s churchyard. He had at least one son, Alexander Colquhoun GRANT, christened 22 May 1850 at St. Andrew, Rugby, Warwickshire, England.